Irrigation department performs various function from which following are major objectives and function where key pillars of department are focused upon.
- Operation, maintenance, development & management of irrigation network
- Operation, maintenance, development & management of surface drainage system and tube wells
- Flood control along River Indus and hill torrents
- Rain Water Harvesting by construction of Small Dams and retention weirs
- Rain Water Harvesting by Small Dams
The competent authority has been placed to approve the following policy for approval of irrigation cases in the commands of all the three barrages in Sindh
I. There would be complete ban on:
- Sanction of new outlets.
- Sanction of supplementary/temporary pipes.
- Transfer of area from one barrage command to other barrage command.
- Conversation of dry area into paddy.
- Sanction of garden water.
- Sanction of water for D class land.
II. The powers for relaxation of ban are vested in Governor/Cabinet